Greening in Research
Research and final projects on environmental topics
Undergraduate and graduate students at Kibbutzim College prepare final projects and research papers on environmental and social topics. These projects can potentially contribute much to the development of academic and practical knowledge about the environment.
A. Final Projects for the graduate degree in environmental education
All graduate students of environmental education are required to prepare a final project which includes a research component, mentored by a college lecturer. The projects deal with various environmental issues, some of them scientific, others, social and educational.
Examples of environmental and scientific topics treated in final projects:
- Predicting benzine pollution by CO + NOx
- An experiment using activated charcoal to treat various kinds of water
- Examining the variations in composition and concentration of the oil produced from plant seeds
- Various plant types on a reclaimed plot in Sataria – and a survey of the inhabitants‘ attitudes about the plot
- The nature preserve, Tel Alon (Hirbet Tcherkes) – ecological and public impact
- The impact of development on the human environment – the case of the Beduin population in Israel
- An uninhabited area of Gadera designated as a lookout point and parking lot for the future bicycle path surrounding Gadera
- The influence of various cultivation practices on the quantity levels of different plants in an olive grove
- Returning animals to the wild: Is there a viable strategy to combat the drastic population decline of wild animals and to restore the biological balance in nature?
- The influence of the condition of the water conduit system on potable water quality in the city of Nes Tziona
Examples social and educational topics treated in final projects:
- Visitor’s conceptions and knowledge about the ecological value of Bnai Tzion Nature Preserve
- Knowledge about sustainability, environmental stands, and ecological footprints of teachers and pupils in elementary and middle schools
- Characteristics of pupils in the department of environmental studies of the Kfar Kassem secondary school
- Comparing study tours and teaching about the environment in the state religious schools in Israel: city schools vs. schools in agricultural settlements
- Educational trip patterns and the attitude of orthodox hikers towards the environment
- Documenting and defining educational processes in forest reclamation projects
- A public garden “ adoption project“: developing a teaching program and defining concepts and knowledge for pupils in the subject of environment while participating in an environmental project
- Characteristics of the environmental positions of secondary school students in Kfar Saba
- Environmental behavior of secondary school students in different study tracks in Kfar Saba
- The educational potential of the Shaon park and how it was used by educational trips, fulfilling one of the objects of the science program
- Assessing an educational project by the approach of the community in Klansua
- Designing road shoulders – vision and reality
- Tel Aviv bicyclers – attitudes and behavior
B. Final project for third year undergraduate students of biology, with emphasis on the environment
As part of the program to train secondary school teachers of biology with emphasis on the environment, students design, produce and operate an educational, environmental project. The project prepares them to exert influence on environmental and social issues in formal and informal educational frameworks. They practice working with children of different ages, from kindergarten to adolescence, including adolescents with special needs and youth in danger.
The project has two main themes: science, technology, and environment on the one hand and educational initiatives on the other hand. All projects should have objectives in the field of humanistic values, behavior and environmental thinking. Developing the project requires integrating theoretical material from the scientific disciplines and pedagogical knowledge as well as source material directly concerned with the subject of the project. Preparation of the project should proceed by the principles of studies planning, in which up to date teaching strategies are used and stage by stage critical/analytical methods applied.
Examples of projects:
- Bicycle riding – for the body, the soul and the environment
- A peek at sustainability – from ideas to deeds
- Increasing environmental awareness among a group of youth with special needs
- Bringing nature appreciation to the attention of hikers by explaining actual phenomena and processes observed on short trips
- Improving the relations between humans, animals and the environment – a prerequisite for accepting responsibility, for achieving, for self improvement, for inspiring confidence and stability - during activities and involvement at the Haifa Zoo
- “ The story of a wadi“ – creating a feeling of responsibility towards the environment and respect for nature and tradition
- A community takes responsibility for its environment – Developing environmental literacy with the accent on humanistic values
- “ From the depths to the heights“ – an odyssey towards an environmental conscience
- “Sowing the seeds“ – of environmental thought by raising the subject
- “globalization and consumer culture“
- Increasing awareness of environment through research, analysis, thinking out and trying to solve problems.
- “The ecological garden“ – developing a feeling for environment through working in a vegetable garden
The development of the project and its completion are presented by the students at two dates: at the end of the first semester the students show the design and production stage through a scientific poster; at the end of the second semester the students present their finished projects with a short lecture at the conference before the college forum. A publication containing the summaries of all the final projects is distributed at the conference.